Thursday, February 8, 2007

The Beginnings of Prague

Hello everyone. I intend to make this post longer after the weekend. But I’m tired and leave for Vienna tomorrow. Also, after these excruciatingly long posts, I hope to be able to do 1 or 2 paragraph updates instead of catch-ups.

I wanted to first add on to the former entry about an experience in London. The by far standout experience I had in London was when a small group of people and I went out to get Indian food (as I was told to do by so many people). As we were looking at the menu on the outside of the window, the supposed owner came outside to introduce himself and try to get us to come in. We decided to go in and it was a great decision. As we sat down the man introduced himself as H.R. and began telling us amazing stories and people that he knew. It turns out that he knew very important people in the United States and in London. He is friends with (complete with signed pictures) the head of the CIA, former presidents, Hilary Clinton, the next empress to Japan, etc. After we tried to ask him a few times how he knew all these people it became pretty clear by his unwillingness to respond that he was an important individual. He continued then to tell us of his philosophy on life, which is actually the meaning behind his name – H.R. or Human Religion. He explained how valuable human life is and how important it is that we all provide for each other and future generations. He also told us a lengthy story about a woman who was sent to him to seek a job and help (presumably from important military personal) and the tragedy that came from that - it ended in suicide. It was an amazing story but very long. He said that he is writing two books – one on the story about the woman and one on his philosophy.

Now I’ll move on to Prague. So much time has passed since I got here that I am just going to give some highlights.

Our dorm is located about 20 minutes by tram or 15 minutes by a combination of tram and metro from the school. The dorm is right next to the castle (only one tram stop away) and the school offers breathtaking views of the entire city, especially the castle.

My favorite part of Prague is definitely Old Town. It is actually slightly more expensive than the district we live in but it is by far the most diverse and interesting. Almost every road (not just in Old Town) is made of cobblestone. Anyways, Old Town has absolutely amazing architecture and on every corner is either a happening club or amazing restaurant. And if you just walk a couple blocks away from the town square, it is easy to find a place that is both full of character and at reasonable prices. There’s also a little market (Halveske Market) that is full of little crafts and goods that is fun to walk through and browse.

The transportation system here is amazing. Almost everyone walks and uses public transportation. This may be in part because of the country having one of the highest auto-death rates in the world…but I’m not sure. Either way, I love that you can get anywhere by tram or metro. And the metro system is incredibly easy to use – only three lines, with very well labeled stops. The only thing I don’t like is that the normal system stops running at about 12:00 AM – which forces you to rely on night trams and busses that don’t come as often or pay the price for a cab (about 250 Kc or $10).

Pictures: Facebook Album 1

1 Comments:

Blogger Harv said...

Great start, but we want MORE! We miss you and this helps.

February 12, 2007 at 5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home